Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yummy Korean Food

Yesterday was mine and my boyfriends four year anniversary, and so to celebrate, we went to a Korean BBQ restaurant. I was a bit apprehensive about it; usually 'bbq' is synonymous with 'meat, meat and more meat' but I agreed to go due to it being my boyfriends favourite restaurant, and so far I have found absolutely no vegan or even vegetarian restaurants in Auckland!

And to be honest, I ended up being completely glad we went! After I had explained to the extremely friendly waiter who greeted us that I was vegan, he kindly seated us at a table with two barbeques so I wouldn't have to cook my stuff on the same barbeque as A's food. I had emailed the restaurant ahead of time, and they had assured me there would be plenty of foods that I could eat, and they weren't joking! There was so much vegan-friendly food, I couldn't believe it. The highlights of which were:

  • Asparagus spears (I've always wanted to try asparagus but never had done, I wasn't sure how to cook it but now I absolutely love it!)
  • Sushi
  • Bean sprout and chilli salad
  • Chinese cabbage salad
  • Some sort of kiwi soup/sauce which was so delicious. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was served in a glass bowl over ice and completely refreshing. I'm going to have to attempt to recreate it, as I adore kiwi fruit.

    I ended up having a really amazing night, and will be definitely be going back there again! The only downside? I wish I'd have taken my camera!
  • 4 comments:

    Bonnie said...

    That sounds fantastic! I understand how the name of the restaurant threw you off at first, but I've also found that the meatiest restaurant can be surprisingly vegan-friendly sometimes! I do prefer veg*n restaurants, though - too bad there aren't any in your neighbourhoud! nonetheless, it's awesome that the people at your boyfriend's favourite restaurant were willing to cater for you, I think you should go there again and bring your camera. I'd love to see the pictures! :)

    Bonnie said...

    Oh, and thank you for the link to the raw blog - there are some delicious-looking recipes on there!

    How To Eat A Cupcake said...

    Nah the lemon cupcakes didn't change my mind. The texture of the cake was amazing, and I'm sure it would make a nice moist vanilla cake w/o any lemon juice... but I just don't like the taste of lemons in sweets!

    Sam said...

    Ooh, if you do recreate the kiwi soup, I want the recipe! I love kiwi!